Thursday, 22 May 2008

Freedom, what does it mean?

In South Africa we regard those who were born after 2004 as born free, but what is freedom. People tend to hover around when trying to come up with a proper definition of freedom and democracy. Freedom is simply the condition of being free; the power to act or speak or think without externally imposed restraints whereas Democracy means the government of the people by the people for the people, at least I learned that when I took History as one of my subjects at school.

In our bill of rights they state that we have freedom of speech, but the are things that one can't just blurt when ever they feel like expressing one's feelings because the message can be conveyed in a state where one tend to hurt the other one's feelings. Maybe I am still not grasping the whole concept here. Since I am in a democratic company and I feel I am free except from thugs can I go into my kitchen and steal my food, say anything I like, drive 220km/Hr, smoke dagger or "tik"? Well, you will be acting immorally according to social ethics.

There is only one thing that one need to think about, which is , at what point does my freedom impinge on another person's freedom, and therefore nullify such freedom?

The only thing that I believe will be able to solve all the social hindering that we tend to experience in SA now and then, is to let people learn what it means to be having rights. Most human rights that are on our bill of rights tend to keep others under suppression due to the fact that they are not being exercised properly. If you are allowed to smoke, which is by choice, do it in a sense or manner that other around you don't get to inhale the smoke, spitting in pavements really? that is too goofy for my liking. Well, I believe South African need to be taught on how to interact socially and responsibly. When we got what is called freedom, people thought it is a chance to do whatever they felt like doing without being responsible about their actions.... We need to learn... not just at school and varsity but everywhere you go you need to learn about things that are surrounding you.

No comments: